What’s the solution for making resilient communications easy?
We’ve asked a lot of questions in this series of articles, and discussed some of the roadblocks we’ve seen our customers face:
We’ve also talked about the potential answers to those questions, and how we’ve seen people overcome those barriers:
- Diversity from beginning to end – multiple ways to access your communications service.
- Think about using SMS texts and voice calls to trigger alerts, as well as using a web dashboard.
- What happens if you don’t have internet access at your end because of the situation you are trying to handle?
- Just because you are using cloud based software, don’t restrict yourself to something you can ONLY access via the cloud.
The same goes for data maintenance. This is a really key point that bears repeating – OUR service is only as good as YOUR data. Whatever solution you choose, it should be clearly part of your processes and workflows and you should be able to maintain it in the way that works best for you. Only have a small contact list and want to manage via Excel? It’s possible. Have something more complex, and don’t want someone physically uploading a spreadsheet? It’s possible. Have a fluid workforce and want real time updates between your HR system and a mass notification service? It’s possible.
- Think inbound as well as outbound.
- An information hotline with nailed line capacity guaranteeing no engaged tones for you callers can be just as valuable as a suite of outbound tools.
- If you are going to use outbound messaging, don’t restrict yourself to one channel.
- Think about the diversity of the people you are communicating with, as well as reducing reliance in key areas and creating single points of failure.
- If you rely on one communication channel, what are you going to do when that channel isn’t available?
- Audio Noticeboard
- Mass Notification
- Incident Connect
- On Call
- Situation Tracker
- Public Notification
Clearly, we are biased, hence this last point! But in all seriousness, resilient communication tools are important to all organisations, and they don’t need to be overly complicated or overly expensive. They just have to give you what you need, when you need it.
Alert Cascade – it does what it says on the tin!